Many people suffer with the problem of grinding and clenching their teeth while they sleep. This can result in tooth, mouth, and jaw pain, as well as headaches and other upper-body discomfort. It is possible to avoid these aches and curb the development of oral health problems related to unconscious teeth-grinding. Learn more about the benefits of a custom nightguard created just for you at New Orchard Dentistry.
Side Effects of Teeth Grinding
A custom nightguard is an easy solution to a big problem, to many big problems. Grinding and/or clenching your teeth every night while you sleep can lead to:
- Sore teeth
- Cracked or broken teeth
- Worn enamel
- Gum recession
- Damaged dental work
- Tension headaches
- Popping jaw joints
- Tenderness when biting or chewing
People who grind their teeth at night know it. These symptoms are difficult to ignore. For some people, teeth grinding is temporary, a side effect during a time of stress. For others, the condition is permanent and without intervention can result in many oral health complications and serious pain.
Benefits of a Nightguard
Before you can be fitted for a custom nightguard, your West Bloomfield dentist will examine you to determine the most effective solution for your oral health condition. The goal is to help you find relief while also preventing the deterioration of teeth, gums, and jawbone health.
Should you be a good candidate for a custom nightguard to ward against sleep bruxism – the formal name for teeth grinding and clenching – here are some of the benefits you can expect from the treatment:
- Customized fit: The nightguard is designed for your mouth alone so it snaps snugly into place and fits perfectly so you can sleep comfortably.
- Immediate relief: Once your nightguard has been created and is ready, you can begin to wear it immediately, getting relief that first night, waking without a headache or pain, and avoiding discomfort from then on.
- Expert support: Your dentist at New Orchard Dentistry delivers a careful and accurate fit of your nightguard so the appliance solves the problems you’re experiencing without causing more oral health problems or jaw misalignment.
- Good oral health: You may take great care of your teeth during your waking hours, but no amount of brushing and flossing can ward off the damage that nighttime grinding can do. With a nightguard in place, you protect your teeth from avoidable wear and tear.
- Better health: Grinding your teeth at night not only leads to morning problems, like tension headaches and soreness, the habit can make you wake up at night, disrupting sleep and interfering with productivity and alertness.
Alternatives to a Nightguard
If you grind your teeth at night and have tooth or jaw misalignment, your dentist may recommend a course of Invisalign to correct the problem instead of a nightguard. Realigning your teeth and bite is a permanent solution that can help you bypass the need for a nightguard entirely. Some patients, however, are not ready to commit to an orthodontic alternative and would rather rely on the nightguard. You and your dentist will discuss the best solution for your specific oral health needs.
While there are many over-the-counter solutions advertised to help with nighttime teeth grinding, this convenient solution is not a safe one. Without a customized fit, a store-bought guard can do more harm than good, damage your jaw joint and even increase headaches and facial pain. Dentists do not recommend boil and bite mouthguards for severe bruxism.
Find out if you’re a good candidate for a custom nightguard. Contact New Orchard Dentistry in West Bloomfield to schedule a consultation. Get relief from your nighttime teeth grinding, eliminate chronic pain, and save your oral health from damage and destruction.