Dental cleanings are the foundation of preventive dentistry and good oral health. If you see your dentist and hygienist at New Orchard Dentistry in West Bloomfield every six months, as recommended, you will have the professional support to maintain the health of your teeth and gums for a lifetime.
What Happens During Dental Cleanings?
Dental cleanings are jampacked with dental care. The visits may seem focused on cleaning your teeth alone, but there are many important things that happen every time you’re in the dentist’s chair:
- Dental cleaning: The hygienist meticulously removes plaque and tartar build-up from places your toothbrush and dental floss cannot reach. The teeth are thoroughly flossed and polished to a high shine which helps prevent the adherence of plaque and tartar.
- Dental exam: Your dentist will review your oral health for any signs of tooth decay, gum disease, cracks, or other oral health issues. Recognizing problems sooner rather than later means small matters can be addressed immediately and do not turn into bigger, painful problems.
- Oral cancer screening: This examination is brief but thorough and includes an examination of the gums, cheeks, lips, tongue, palate, and neck. When you give your dentist the opportunity to recognize signs of this aggressive disease early, it can save your life.
- Digital x-rays: Typically done yearly, depending on your insurance plan, digital x-rays show your dentist if there are problems lurking within your teeth that need further probing or immediate treatment.
- Consultation: Curious about cosmetic dentistry? Want to know if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign? Irritated with a certain aspect of your smile? Your regular dental cleanings are the best time to have a chat with your dentist about smile makeover procedures that may be right for you.
- Fluoride treatment: Fluoride treatments are quick and painless, which is great since they’re meant for children. The fluoride is brushed on a child’s teeth – baby teeth and newly erupting adult teeth – and helps deter cavities, strengthens their enamel, and helps permanent teeth grown healthy and strong.
- Sealants: Also targeted to the younger crowd, sealants are carefully applied to newly erupted permanent teeth. This clear coating covers the chewing surface of the tooth and is then cured to protect tooth enamel and prevent tooth decay among a demographic that is still developing good brushing and flossing habits.
Protect Your Oral Health with Regular Dental Cleanings
It’s easy to assume that because you brush and floss daily at home that your teeth are healthy enough and don’t need additional attention. While we applaud our diligent patients who do the hard work of keeping their teeth clean and healthy on their own time, this isn’t enough to keep smiles free of cavities, infections, and developing oral health problems.
Your dentist will always see more going on with your teeth than you ever will – and that’s a good thing. For example, where you see a whole tooth, your dentist may notice a hairline crack. Get that fixed now and you avoid major problems later. Avoid the dentist, neglect to have this problem diagnosed, and bacteria and food particles could seep in, causing not only tooth decay but a root infection requiring solutions like root canal therapy, a tooth-colored filling, a porcelain crown, or even tooth extraction.
Get a Dental Cleaning in West Bloomfield
Ready to schedule a routine dental cleaning? We’re ready to see you. Contact New Orchard Dentistry in West Bloomfield to make an appointment. If you are worried about sitting in the dentist’s chair, let us know ahead of time so we can develop a plan to help keep you calm and distracted to reduce your anxiety. We want all your dental visits to be pleasant, and we work to create a gentle, welcoming environment for everyone.