Straighten Your Smile Discreetly with Invisalign
Want a straight smile without metal braces? It’s time to learn more about Invisalign, the discreet orthodontic alternative that uses a series of clear, removable aligners customized to align teeth effectively and efficiently. Find out whether you’re a good candidate for this innovative treatment from certified Invisalign provider Dr. Firas Nashef at New Orchard Dentistry in West Bloomfield Township.
The Rules of Invisalign
Invisalign is designed to shift teeth gently and consistently into alignment. Though every Invisalign patient’s treatment is personalized to their unique smile, the general rules for wearing these clear trays are the same for every patient:
- Wear the trays for 20 to 22 hours a day: To keep your treatment on track, trays should only be removed briefly four to six times a day for meals, snacks, and cleanings.
- Change the aligners every 2 weeks: The timeline for when you switch to a new set of aligners is determined at the start of treatment and must be followed to the letter to achieve the biggest benefit.
- Visit your dentist every 6 to 8 weeks: Check-ups with your West Bloomfield Township provider are important so he can check to make sure your treatment is progressing properly and so you can collect your next several sets of aligners.
- Remove the trays for meals. You have incredible freedom with Invisalign compared to wearers of metal braces. You can enjoy whatever you want to eat – as long as the trays come out first. Otherwise, eating with the trays in could lead to damage or stains.
Invisalign treatment lasts for an average of one year, but every patient is different. If you have minor spacing or a few crooked teeth that need to be adjusted, a less-intensive treatment may work and will take only six months or so. If you have a more complex case, treatment could last beyond a year.
Invisalign vs. Traditional Metal Braces
Invisalign is typically worn by adults, but some adolescents qualify for Invisalign Teen. If you or your teen are trying to decide between clear aligners and metal braces, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Visibility: Modern braces are available in clear or ceramic brackets, so they blend into the teeth and are harder to see, but Invisalign trays are smooth, slim, and fit snugly against the teeth and are nearly invisible so they really are difficult to notice.
- Function: Braces shift teeth in phases – first the crowns, then the roots of the teeth. The clear aligners move crowns and roots simultaneously through a gentle, consistent alignment method, which cuts down on treatment time.
- Comfort: All braces, no matter what type, will feel tight on the teeth and cause discomfort from time to time. But the composition of Invisalign trays allow them to slide off the teeth. They do not jab or snag the cheeks and lips like metal brackets and wires.
- Versatility: Both Invisalign and metal braces correct underbites, overbites, crossbites, gaps, overcrowding, and more. Left untreated, these problems are not only cosmetic but they can lead to functional complications like enamel erosion, TMJ problems, tooth decay, gum recession, and more. Invisalign and braces both create beautiful smiles – and healthier smiles.
Are You a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
The cost factors will vary from patient to patient. The complexity of your case, the number of trays needed to complete the alignment, the experience of your provider, and your location will all affect the price. The great thing about Invisalign, though, is that that cost is all-inclusive, so you know exactly what to expect from start to finish with no surprises along the way.