Dental restorations are necessary when you have a cavity, trauma, infection, missing teeth, or other oral health problem. Whatever dental challenge you face, there is a restorative dentistry solution that will give you strong, healthy, functional teeth again. We offer dental restorations as part of our comprehensive dental care at New Orchard Dentistry in West Bloomfield.
Common Restorative Dentistry Procedures
Dental restorations are important procedures that give you back a healthy smile. Because of how modern restorative dentistry is done, most treatments have a cosmetic element to them too. Not only are your teeth repaired, they are also beautified.
Here are some of the most common restorative dentistry procedures in West Bloomfield:
- Dental implants: When you are missing one tooth or multiple teeth, your entire oral health suffers. Over time, your face shape can change, or the rest of your teeth will compensate for the missing tooth by working harder or shifting into the open space. Dental implants are positioned directly into the jawbone to replace the missing tooth root. The implant is topped with a prosthetic tooth to complete your smile and deliver a fully functional and strong set of teeth. The implants can even be used to hold a bridge or denture in place.
- Crowns and bridges: A dental bridge is a tooth replacement option, like dental implants but without the surgery, and like dentures but permanently secured in place. The bridge spans the missing tooth, is clasped to the neighboring teeth, and then anchored in placed with porcelain crowns, creating a natural-looking restoration. Crowns are tooth-colored caps that are placed over a broken, misshapen, or damaged tooth to restore its strength and appearance.
- Endodontics: Better known as root canal therapy, endodontic treatment is done to save a broken or infected tooth. The infected pulp of the tooth is removed, the canals are disinfected and filled to prevent any other problems from occurring, and the tooth is capped with a crown to make it strong and restore its appearance. Modern dental care has made root canals far more comfortable, which is so important – it’s always ideal to try to save the tooth before resorting to extraction.
- Inlays and onlays: Dental inlays and onlays are used to correct damaged or broken teeth but they’re not as invasive as a crown. An inlay is used on the biting surface of the tooth. An onlay covers the surface of the tooth as well as one or more of the cusps. Onlays are often known as partial crowns. These dental restorations are minimally invasive but repair a compromised tooth so it is again complete.
- Fillings: When you have a cavity, you need a filling. But this dental restoration is versatile and can be used to correct chipped or broken teeth or make other minor repairs. Tooth-colored fillings are safe for your teeth and blend in to the natural color of your tooth enamel.
- Bone grafts: A minor surgical procedure, oral bone grafting involves the placement of bone grafting material onto the jawbone so it can fuse to the jaw and grow new, strong bone. The reason for bone grafts is to create a stable and solid base for dental implants to be surgically implanted. Jawbones easily lose bone density when there are missing teeth, as well as periodontal disease or other infection or decay.
- Dentures and partials: Modern dentures are more comfortable, attractive, and user-friendly than dentures of old. If you’re only missing some teeth, you may quality for a partial denture, which is typically made of a metal framework with clasps that connect to your teeth. If you’re missing an entire arch of teeth on the top or bottom, a full denture can be customized to replace those missing teeth and complete your smile.
Strengthen Your Smile with Restorative Dentistry
If you have missing teeth, pain, discomfort, or your teeth are breaking down, it’s time to find out what’s going on and develop a solution for your oral health. The restorative dentistry solutions at New Orchard Dentistry will give you a beautiful, strong, healthy smile again. Contact us today in West Bloomfield to schedule your consultation