Whether you are missing one tooth or multiple teeth, dental implants can fill in the holes in your smile, improving your oral health and appearance at the same time. At New Orchard Dentistry, we perform this durable, long-lasting dental restoration for patients who are ready to fill in the blanks and have a fully functional set of teeth once again.
The Permanent Way to Replace Missing Teeth
It doesn’t matter if the holes in your smile were caused by gum disease, an accident, age, a fall, a sports injury, or otherwise. Whatever the cause, you don’t have to live without all your teeth. There is always a solution to give you your smile back.
If you still have periodontal disease or any other infection, that will need to be addressed first before any implant surgery can take place, but it doesn’t mean you’re completely exempt from this dental restoration.
Here are just some of the facts you need to know about dental implants:
- They are better than dentures. No adhesives, no coming out at all, ever. They’re permanent.
- But they can partner with dentures. For those missing an entire arch of teeth, several implants can be put in place and dentures permanently attached for a secure solution.
- They can also work with bridges. A dental bridge is typically used to fill a hole left by one or two missing teeth and works in conjunction with porcelain crowns. An implant can be used instead and a bridge attached to it for the ultimate security.
- You’ll look younger. If you have a hole in your smile, over time, you’ll develop a hollow look or sagging skin as a side effect of an unstimulated jawbone. Dental implants counteract the sunken-in appearance.
- Adjacent teeth will be stronger. Anytime you’re missing a tooth, the nearby teeth are in jeopardy. They may start to “float” around in the mouth to fill in the spaces, threatening alignment and the security of your oral health.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The dental implant procedure takes places over a series of dental visits:
- Consultation: Your West Bloomfield dentist will examine your mouth to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants. This will include a review of your oral health and medical history, as well as X-rays and 3D scans of your mouth to evaluate the jawbone, gum tissue, and spacing available. It is necessary to have adequate bone density to hold the implants.
- Surgery: The first part of the implant procedure is the surgical implantation of the implants in the jawbone. This small, manmade root is anchored in place to serve as the tooth’s new root. A post is attached to the implant and sometimes a temporary tooth is attached to the post during recovery.
- Healing: It will take time for the surgical area to heal and the implant to integrate properly and fuse permanently with the jawbone. Several weeks and sometimes even months will pass before the final part of the procedure is complete.
- Crown: When the time is right, a custom-made prosthetic tooth will replace the temporary tooth and be permanently bonded in place. This crown is carefully color-matched and designed to blend in with your surrounding teeth.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are a few excellent dental restorations that patients can choose from to replace missing teeth, like a dental bridge or dentures. There is nothing quite like dental implants, however, in the number of benefits they deliver:
- Comfort: Dental implants replace the tooth root and the crown of the tooth for a complete restoration that feels natural. You will quickly forget that you’re going through life with an implant.
- Security: Some tooth replacement solutions are less than ideal, dentures in particular. Modern dentures have come a long way, but they cannot compare to dental implants that are implanted surgically and permanently in place.
- Function: Have you long been self-conscious about biting and chewing because of holes in your smile, shaky dentures, or loose teeth? Replacing all these circumstances with dental implants restores full function, no exceptions.
- Confidence: Above all, dental implants deliver confidence. You will have a complete smile you’re proud to show off and feel comfortable while speaking and eating. There is no substitute for renewed self-esteem.
Get Dental Implants in West Bloomfield
Dental implants, done well, are indistinguishable from the rest of your teeth. Find out if you’re a good candidate for this amazing restorative dentistry procedure. Contact us today at New Orchard Dentistry in West Bloomfield Township to schedule your consultation.